At the turn of the century, South Africa had 2,4 million internet users. In 2008 that figure reached 5 million, which represents a growth of 112.5 percent. South Africa's internet population is expected to grow at a very rapid rate over the next five years, taking the internet user population to the 9 million mark by 2014. This will mainly come as the result of the arrival of five new undersea telecommunications cables, one of which is already in place.
South African internet facts and figures:
- South African internet country code: co.za
- Number of internet users: about 5 million or 11% of population (2008 figure).
- Broadband penetration level: 6 percent
- Online shopping: 80 percent of South Africa's internet users shop online; majority buy items like CDs and DVDs (The MasterCard survey, June 2009)
- In 2007, South Africa’s online advertising industry was worth R319 million.
- In 2007, South Africa’s online retail sales generated R688 million; online air ticket sales generated an additional R3 billion.
- There are about 26,000 South African blogs, read by over 600,000 people.
- 25 percent of South Africa's active internet users have uploaded videos to a video sharing site.
- 1.4 million of South Africa's active internet users have a social network profile.